Today is one of those days where I just want to get back in bed, curl up under the blankets and sleep till noon. After making the last back to school shopping dash and a long holiday weekend, nothing sounds better than a warm bed. But, I can’t. Life goes on and time waits for no one. Plus I need this today, even more than I need coffee . So here is my delayed post about setting goals and sticking to them.
The thing about a goal is, it’s actually an opportunity for you to make up your mind to achieve something greater. Whether it’s for work, kids, relationships, LIFE, a goal is that thing you want to aspire to. We all have goals or dreams we want to achieve but sometimes the hardest thing is in the getting there. I think it’s easy to think when you look at people that are at the top of their game that it’s just luck or things just come easy to them. I think it’s easier to believe that, than to realize that, no those people actually had a goal in mind, did the work and achieved what they set out to achieve. The great thing though, is that everyone can have that big dream goal and achieve it, by setting smaller manageable goals.
I like to think of my dream goal as a puzzle. You have that big picture and you can see what it’s going to look like but you need all the smaller pieces of the puzzle to get that big picture. It’s by doing all of those little things consistently on a daily basis that will get you that finished puzzle. So let’s look at some things that can help on the path of setting goals.
1. Write down your goal. To get to the BIG you have to start with the small. So write down your BIG DREAM GOAL, read it twice a day(or more). This helps tuck that goal into your subconscious so eventually your sub and conscious brain will align to work towards that goal together. Write down your smaller goals for the day, the week, the month so you have a guideline on how to get to that bigger goal. Do the little things everyday, and make sure they are manageable. If you set too many goals for a day and find you can’t get it all in, adjust it. Same goes for not enough, if you have lot’s of free time where you can be doing something productive then add a few more little goals. These are the small things when done everyday will eventually lead to the big goal.
2. Have an end date. When you set an end date you tend to be more urgent and consistent on getting things done. You know you only have so much time and the clock is ticking. However if you find that at the end of that time period you haven’t reached your goal don’t freak out! Change the date. You can still get to your end result you just might need that little bit of extra time. Never change the goal, just the date.
3. Get it done. “Do the thing and you shall have the power”~ Ralph Waldo Emerson. This is the take action part. You know what you need to do so get it done. You don’t have to move a mountain but grab a shovel and get to digging. The little goals are your stepping stones to your BIG GOAL. Get your small goals done everyday and at the end of the week look back and see how far you’ve come.
4. Make adjustments. Sometimes things just don’t work out the way we think they will. That’s just life, it’s a learning experience. If you find that something is not working then change it to something more effective. Take a step back from time to time and analyze the situation. If there are things that are working, can you improve to make it work better? Is there something that you are doing that just isn’t getting you anywhere? Get rid of it.
5. Find the right people. There is no one on this earth that knows everything, but there are a lot of people that know something. Find that group of people that are on a similar path as you. Each person will bring different ideas, tips, or advice to the table. Look at people that are where you want to be. What types of things are they doing to get where they’re at and what types of people do they hang out with. I was reading one of Dani Johnson’s books and she basically said if you’re trying to be a millionaire why are you asking the average guy next door how to get there? Find those people that know what you want to know.
These are just a few things that should help on your path to reaching your goal. If you want something bad enough you’ll do what it takes to get it done. Something great I heard “There is no such thing as failure, there is only quitting.”. I almost forgot I actually did a “Hangout” with my friend about setting goals here’s the link if you want to check it out: How to set goals. Because I am so tech savvy lol I still have to figure out how to get it on my YouTube channel.
I hope you have an amazing day and the sun is shining for you!